Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 video/audio recording 
 Post subject: Re: video/audio recording
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:10 am 
The Man

chunkstyle wrote:
At some point, you will have to make the thing uplink its recording directly to the internet, in case some one (ahem) decides to confiscate your recording media.
That thing doesn't; other things do. Now. See qik.com.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:01 pm 

tman065 wrote:
As I said before, I couldn't really care less if you're recording our encounter.

For the short duration of a traffic stop, to which I mostly refer, I don't want to see anything in your hands that I haven't asked you to hold. Cell phone? Or is it a knife or gun?

Put it down and leave it on the seat, for Pete's sake.

I can see you being able to tell the person 'I don't want anything in your hands, set the phone down'

but commanding someone to close it or turn it off is entirely different.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:09 pm 
The Man

akodo wrote:
tman065 wrote:
As I said before, I couldn't really care less if you're recording our encounter.

For the short duration of a traffic stop, to which I mostly refer, I don't want to see anything in your hands that I haven't asked you to hold. Cell phone? Or is it a knife or gun?

I can see you being able to tell the person 'I don't want anything in your hands, set the phone down'

Yup. And he wouldn't. He might or might not like it -- I wouldn't, in his place -- but he's a good, honest, service-oriented cop, and he wouldn't exceed his authority deliberately.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:54 am 
Raving Moderate

akodo wrote:
tman065 wrote:

Not wanting someone you're speaking to on a stop to have anything in their hands makes sense- a cell phone (as well as most anything else) can be a weapon:

(taken from http://www.donrearic.com/fistload.html, an article on improvised fistloads- while you'd almost certainly DRT the phone, it would indeed make a usable fist reinforcement that would be at best unpleasant to get hit with....)

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:17 pm 

Jeremiah wrote:
akodo wrote:
tman065 wrote:

Not wanting someone you're speaking to on a stop to have anything in their hands makes sense- a cell phone (as well as most anything else) can be a weapon:

(taken from http://www.donrearic.com/fistload.html, an article on improvised fistloads- while you'd almost certainly DRT the phone, it would indeed make a usable fist reinforcement that would be at best unpleasant to get hit with....)

absolutely, nothing in the hands. I guess what I MOST noticed was

Quote:
I DO direct people to close and set down their phones during my contacts with them.

emphasis added.

The close part is what stood out most to me. On all of my flip phones closing it shuts it off. I'd think a person would be able to set down an open cellphone on the dash or passenger seat. Closed/open and on/off doesn't really matter, just set it down.

However, the poster did not JUST say set down, he said close. Now as he seems like a great guy I am betting he didn't give a lot of thought to the 'close' part of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:01 am 
Longtime Regular

akodo wrote:
However, the poster did not JUST say set down, he said close. Now as he seems like a great guy I am betting he didn't give a lot of thought to the 'close' part of it.

I ALWAYS choose my words carefully.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:28 pm 

tman065 wrote:

I DO direct people to close and set down their phones during my contacts with them.

Why do you direct them to CLOSE their phone?

If someone sets down the phone but does not close it, what are your actions?

What do you imply with the word 'direct'? Are you making what you consider a lawful command when you 'direct' or are you making a 'suggestion' that can be legally ignored or refused?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:58 am 
Longtime Regular

I am (sot so) subtly trying to get them to 1) Pay attention to me, NOT to the person on the other end of the line and 2) limit my exposure to a possible ambush by cutting off communication during the stop.

My response to someone who just sets the phone down will depend on a lot of factors including, time of day, nature of the stop, location of my back-up, my assessment of the occupants of the car, etc.

I might do nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

What is your response to someone who simply says, "Fuck you, this is a cell phone you are not in any danger. Do you have your recorder on? And if you're reall scared, you should call for backup. But we're staying online."?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:40 pm 
The Man

Dick Unger wrote:
What is your response to someone who simply says, "Fuck you, this is a cell phone you are not in any danger. Do you have your recorder on? And if you're reall scared, you should call for backup. But we're staying online."?

That's where I'd agree with you in principle, but differ in practice — I'd carefully close and set the cell phone down, and hope that the dishonest cop (err... do I need to say that Tman is not, in my strong opinion, in that category?) let his mouth run wild and free on the other one, at least, recorder I'd have going, as well as on the qik.com video that was being uploaded and streamed live, at the moment.

Personally, my own practice would be — and has been — to have my hands empty, and on the steering wheel. Whatever means I'm using to memorialize the conversation can be started very quickly, even if it's not running at the moment.

Had an encounter with an Eagan cop, a few years ago, in which he asked me, eventually, "Is your gun registered?" I responded, of course, that no, we don't have handgun registration in Minnesota. Out of context, his spluttering would have made him look like a fool, but he was just doing his job, in a good, service-oriented way, and misspoke — and I never did put the recording out in public. (We spent most of the time chatting about mutual acquaintances. Nice guy.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:

I will let you know when it actually happens. How would YOU handle it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:02 pm 
The Man

tman065 wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:

I dunno how I would, but I hope I'd handle it the way that Trooper did in that famous video, where the guy who he just stopped for speeding went all nutty, and started shrieking at him. It was clear to him that the idiot was just making chin music, so he kept his cool, did his job, and earned a lot of good karma.

Doesn't mean that I'd like it. Never much cared for hysterical shrieking, although I've discovered — both recently and otherwise — that it actually doesn't hurt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 am 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:

I would not say that if I was a cop. I'd be all business about the stop, not excercise my insecurites on somebody I thought would suck up to me. I can tell you that I've been the driver, however. It's always young State Patrol officers that come up with this this "officer safety" crap. One guy actually called for backup from a real cop. Later, we had a good laugh.

Another officer focused on the profanity, He just said he would not stoop to my level. (He had stopped me becuase he though I didn't have a seat belt on. He insisted I slipped it on AFTER he saw me. So i said "fuck you, don't call me a liar, you didn't seet sh*t, you're an effen liar". After all that, the snot nose gave me a "warning"!

Whcih kind of proved he was a liar, If he thought he could back it up in court, he'd do a ticket, at least.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Dick Unger wrote:
Another officer focused on the profanity, He just said he would not stoop to my level. (He had stopped me becuase he though I didn't have a seat belt on. He insisted I slipped it on AFTER he saw me. So i said "fuck you, don't call me a liar, you didn't seet sh*t, you're an effen liar". After all that, the snot nose gave me a "warning"!

My response would be to say, calmly, "If you won't accept what I say we can only communicate via my attorney."

Further communication from me would be limited to one word.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:25 pm 

Sounds like the moral of the story is to have a non-flip phone.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.