Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Revolvers vs. Semiautos: the poll 

Do you carry a revolver, or a semiauto?
Revolver. I prefer them.  10%  10%  [ 8 ]
Revolver. I don't prefer them, but I think they make more sense.  8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Semiauto. Revolvers are for wimps.  1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Semiauto. Nothing against revolvers; I just prefer them.  54%  54%  [ 42 ]
I have a permit, but I don't carry.  3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I switch off, from time to time.  22%  22%  [ 17 ]
Carry? What do you mean, "carry"? You're not talking about carrying a loaded, concealed handgun in PUBLIC, are you? Aieeee! The sky is falling!  3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Semiauto. I'd rather carry a revolver, but my employer or agency requires a semiauto.  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 78

Revolvers vs. Semiautos: the poll 
 Post subject: Revolvers vs. Semiautos: the poll
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:58 am 
The Man

Take a minute and choose one, please.

Last edited by joelr on Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:33 am 

I picked "semi-auto with the nothing against revolvers" option. I don't switch off for a primary but I'm currently getting a snub 38 up to speed as a second gun. However, when I'm just sitting around the house (like now) I'm more likely to have the 38 in my pocket than the 9mm on my belt. Now if I had a snub K frame 357 and a good holster, I might be switching off for the primary. I realize that the 38 is decent but want a little more for a primary. But that's just me.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:33 am 
Journeyman Member

I think for most people that are new to carry and/or are worried about their reaction in a "stressful" situation, a revolver would be best. However, the question was about my preference, and I prefer semi-autos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:39 am 
The Man

dustoff wrote:
I think for most people that are new to carry and/or are worried about their reaction in a "stressful" situation, a revolver would be best. However, the question was about my preference, and I prefer semi-autos.
Me, too. I carry a revolver almost all the time, but I prefer semiautos.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

If I was going to be in a higher danger area (and couldn't get out of going there) I would much prefer a .45 Auto or 12 gauge. For every day carry it's almost always a .357 snub loaded with full power ammo. I do switch depending on mood and mode of dress.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:17 am 
Journeyman Member

For carry, I always worried about exposed hammers getting caught on clothing in a needed situation.....thus I chose a semi 'hammerless' auto.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

I chose revolver because they make more sense for me. I've already used my carry gun on a problem bear. (not self-defense) and I like the power that my .41 mag has against anything I might encounter with 2 legs or 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:55 pm 

I chose the "Semiauto. Nothing against revolvers; I just prefer them" even though I'm only carrying a revolver right now. So I chose my plan, not necessarily what I'm doing at the moment.

I think my biggest complaint, if you call it that, aginst the revolvers are the bulge from the cylinder. Some of the semiautos are more concealable. Otherwise, I'm just more interested in semiautos. Probably a newbie thing, watch - in 5 years I'll be carrying a revolver ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:29 pm 

Well I carry both :?

Started out with Kel Tec P32 and P11 but way to difficult for me to shoot well (P11 bad trigger, P32 just to small to index).

Now I have a J frame 38 and a Dan Wesson 10mm. I like to have two guns when possible, one carried for easy draw from standing and one for easy draw from seated.

I prefer revolver for 5 feet and under and auto for longer range. That is why I went with 10mm in a 1911, flat trajectory and easy shooting (for a handgun).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:34 pm 

I am fortunate enough to have a safe full of options of both semi-auto and revolver platforms to chose from. I have been experimenting with different kinds of guns and carry options for the last two years.

Just for my own personal research I've carried a Kimber Pro-Carry, SIG P239, and even a full size Berretta 92F once! ( Yeah ONCE! :lol:)

Now a Glock 23 and a Smitty K-Frame. Some were better than others and all were definitely "concealable", even though I found the 92F just too much of a pain in the ass to be worth it.

That being said, about 90% of the time I head out the door with the 642 airweight. It is just that darn convenient.

Of all of the firearms above, some will stay and some will go, but I'm certain the 642 has a permanent place in my choices.

8)

Post subject: Can't Answer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:17 pm 

Joel, you know me I carry both a semi and a revolver all the time the semi is my primary and the revolver my bug.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:52 pm 

I WOULD carry my S&W 686P, but it's too damn big to conceal easily.
The thing shoots beautifully for me. And I've tried smaller snubby revolvers and I just don't care for them.

So I carry my 1911 clone.

Post subject: I carry...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:19 pm 

I carry a revolver, but I prefer semi-autos. I carry the revolver because it's the most concealable weapon I have right now. Soon I'll get a small automatic and go from there.

Bartleby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:00 am 
Journeyman Member

Ok ... confession out of the way first. I don't have my CCW yet, but I applied on Monday. Soon now ...

When I carry, it will be an auto. I'm comfortable with the manual of arms, and I can hit the target. I've fired mine enough to know that it always goes boom with the ammo I've tested in it.

I like revolvers though. I fondly remember shooting a friends Python out at Oakdale years ago. Recently, I've been trying to shoot with my nephews 640 (that went through the S&W performance center). I cannot believe how badly I suck with it. I really think it's mostly an issue with grip, etc. The gun has some deep concealment grips from when it was a DEA agents bug, and I think I just don't fit them. (photo showing the grips here: http://olegvolk.net/gallery/RS-Armory/j_frame_10 )

Until I sort this revolver thing out, I'll carry an auto. But even when I do sort it all out, I may still carry an auto.

Unfortunately for me, I like both.

Post subject: Four big advantages
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:21 pm 

to the revolver.

1. It never looks like a toy
2. If it misfires, immediate action is fire again.
3. No casings left behind.
4. Widely available frangible ammo.

S&W 637 with LG305 grips and Glaser Blue .38 Special +P 80 gr.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.