Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Anybody wanna play hooky and catch a movie? 
 Post subject: Anybody wanna play hooky and catch a movie?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:47 am 
Longtime Regular

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809419139/details

Local boy, Steve Zahn is in it. Robbinsdale Cooper class of 87?

Showing at the Landmark Uptown (1:15) (4:00) 7:00 9:45

Watch the trailer.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/COChXCeME6I"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/COChXCeME6I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Anybody wanna play hooky and catch a movie?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:

Sweet, I never knew he was from MN. He always makes a nice addition to any movie.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:25 am 
Longtime Regular

From the Yahoo page:
Also Known As: Little Dieter Needs to Fly

That would've been a way cooler title. Anyway, looks cool; I like Christian Bale too.

So I'm tempted but I better not, I'm skipping out early tomorrow for IDPA. Give us a review if you go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:05 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm thinking of going on Thu or Fri. Not sure if it will still be playing on Fri, though.

KonaSeven wrote:
Sweet, I never knew he was from MN. He always makes a nice addition to any movie.

My wife went to school with him and he was in a musical or two with a different girl I dated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Strib review:

Quote:
StarTribune.com

Movie review: Werner Herzog to the 'Rescue'

The maverick director's latest surprise is a heroic action-adventure story of escape and survival.

By Colin Covert, Star Tribune

Last update: July 19, 2007 – 3:47 PM
The bamboo walls of the rain forest POW camp are mostly for show. "It's the jungle that is the prison," an American captive warns a newcomer. "Rescue Dawn," a heroic adventure story from the maverick German art film director Werner Herzog, proves the point beyond dispute. Dangerous as armed guards may be, they're nothing compared with the dense, unthinkably vast green maze beyond.

Herzog, who shuttles between documentaries ("Grizzly Man") and fiction ("Aguirre, the Wrath of God"), has made the disconnect between humans and the natural realm his pet theme. Here it becomes the keystone of his most accessible and entertaining film.

The fact-based film recounts the 1966 downing of U.S. Navy pilot Dieter Dengler on a bombing run over Laos, his months of captivity and his methodically planned escape. Dengler, as played by Christian Bale, is a naive good guy and an oddball. During a WWII air raid on his German hometown, little Dieter saw an American pilot fly so close to his attic window that they momentarily locked eyes. From that time on, Dengler was intoxicated with flight. He joined the service not out of a desire for combat, but for the exhilaration of soaring in the clouds. When he loses a wing to antiaircraft fire, plows into a rice paddy and is captured by Pathet Lao guerrillas, he's crestfallen as a caged eagle.

And as eager to fly the coop. Dengler plots his getaway from the moment he's incarcerated with five haggard inmates. Depressive Duane (Minnesotan Steve Zahn, impressively gaunt) tells him the effort is foolhardy. Delusional Eugene (Jeremy Davies) insists that the war is sure to end any day. But Dengler's Yankee optimism and German pragmatism are steadfast. He creates a lockpick for their handcuffs and makes tiny blades from spent cartridges to saw through the fence's rattan cords. All that remains is finding an opportune moment, a tense waiting game that lasts for months.

Herzog shows all of this with a fresh, observant eye. While sadism is a staple of most POW movies, Herzog focuses instead on the punishing tedium and deprivation of confinement. And filming on location in Thailand gives the film a harshly sensual look, and a realistic tone most action thrillers lack. Seeing the actors battle their way barefoot through the choking underbrush gives their ordeal a quality of truth you don't get from "Rambo."

The film ends on a triumphant note and a dose of Herzog's enigmatic philosophy. When Dengler is welcomed back aboard by his cheering shipmates, the master of ceremonies asks "What carried you through? Was it your belief in God or country?" Dengler can't answer. "Well, you must believe in something," the MC presses. Dengler says, "I believe I need a steak." Asked for survival advice, he grins, "Empty what is full, fill what is empty, scratch where it itches." Is his joke hard-earned wisdom, or an exhausted, overwhelmed man's foolishness? In Herzog's world you can't be a hero without combining both.

Colin Covert • 612-673-7186 • ccovert@startribune.com

© 2007 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Pat Cannon wrote:
From the Yahoo page:

That would've been a way cooler title. Anyway, looks cool; I like Christian Bale too.

So I'm tempted but I better not, I'm skipping out early tomorrow for IDPA. Give us a review if you go!

Actually, Little Dieter Needs to Fly is an earlier movie by the same director and much the same story, using Dieter to reenact the story.

http://former.imdb.com/title/tt0145046/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Greg wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:
From the Yahoo page:

Actually, Little Dieter Needs to Fly is an earlier movie by the same director and much the same story, using Dieter to reenact the story.

http://former.imdb.com/title/tt0145046/

Heh. That looks interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

This is one movie my wife and I want to go to. 8)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:36 am 
Longtime Regular

I think Zahn played a great Al Giordino opposite Mathew McConaughey's Dirk Pitt

Anything is better than "Raise the Titanic"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:30 am 
Longtime Regular

That looks like a really great movie. I can't get enough of Vietnam-era war flicks. Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Dead Presidents and Casualties of War are some of my favorites.

As for Steve Zahn, I will never see him the same way after his little self-love stunt in Saving Silverman. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:20 am 
Longtime Regular

Can't forget Apocalypse Now, the original, Redux makes it a totally different movie.

Some great lines
"Captain Willard, are you in there?"
"*(** Saigon, I'm still only in Saigon"

Heart of Darkness, A Directors Apocalypse, is a documentary about the making of A N.
Martin Sheen had a heart attack 3 days into filming
The opening scene with Martin Sheen, when he punches the mirror, and spreads the blood, it's his blood, out of his tree on booze, and Coppola kept filming.
Marlon Brando takes aside a 16 year old Larry Fishburne at the start of filming party, at gives him some sage advice

Very cool documentary

Post subject: Re: Anybody wanna play hooky and catch a movie?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:30 pm 

DeanC wrote:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809419139/details

Steve was class of 1986. We were classmates at Plymouth Junior High. I went on to Armstrong; he to Cooper.

He was a good guy back then and always very talented. His success is well-deserved.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:20 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm gonna go look you up in my yearbook Marc. I went to Armstrong too.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.