Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I was stopped while carrying. 
 Post subject: I was stopped while carrying.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am driving west on 7th st from downtown approaching the Hwy 55, Lyndale, 7th st area. I have just come from the garbage transfer station where they did not have my voucher on file, so I am a little upset.

I am not paying attention to the speed, but am traveling with the rest of traffic. When up ahead I see a police officer step into my lane, blowing his whistle and directing me to pull over. Speed trap! I do so and when he approaches my open window I have my hands on the wheel. He asks if I know the speed limit and informs me I was going 41 in a 30 zone.

I say that I need to inform him I have a carry permit and I am armed. He says not to worry, but I hand him my permit and licence together. He then asks what I am carrying. My heart is racing but I stammer out "Glock 19". He says he is a big shooter as well and he likes my choice.

He steps away to write the ticket but is back just a minute later. He hands me my licence and says he will just give me a warning as I am a fellow gun owner. I thank him profusely.

So I am about to turn back into traffic when 2 other officers knock on my passenger window. I roll it down and one says very seriously "Go buy a lottery ticket. We are serious, this guy does not let anyone off ever!". So, being the law abiding citizen I am, I went and bought $5 worth. :D

I am hoping this really is my lucky day.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dagnabbitall.

I am chagrined to say that I've been pulled over twice in two years, and the very professional police officers were very polite and not the least bit concerned about my carrying.

But I got the tickets.

Must be `cause I was carrying a Ruger. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:01 am 
Longtime Regular

My good friend and fishing partner is a retired officer of a metro are police department. I asked him how he felt about about conceal and carry. He said that it didn't make any difference to him as he always assumed that everyone that he came in contact with had a gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Of the cops I've discussed this with, most have said they are way more afraid of the armed people they might enounter who don't have carry permits (aka criminals). One or two expressed some concern at the time the 2003 law change went into effect, but I think that was the influence of our local Chief of Police, who is very anti citizens carrying.
In contrast, our Sheriff mailed out my permit with a small booklet, sort of a compact rules of lethal force use, and a cover letter which was actually encouraging toward carry permit holders. Needless to say, this sheriff will get my vote for as long as he keeps re running for sheriff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:52 am 

Some cops are genuine gun enthusiasts and appreciate encountering a fellow enthusiast. This probably doesn't mean we have a license to speed and I wouldn't count on getting out of tickets because of having a carry permit, but I'm not surprised that situations like this happens once in a while.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:09 am 
Journeyman Member

Brewman -

What county do you live in?

I'd like to get a copy of the booklet the the sheriff sent you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Dustoff-

Check your pm in a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 am 
Longtime Regular

dustoff wrote:
Brewman -

What county do you live in?

I'd like to get a copy of the booklet the the sheriff sent you.

FYI: Ramsey county handed me a booklet when I dropped my application off this last Mon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:03 pm 

I've been pulled over twice while carrying.
They didn't ask so I didn't tell.
Of course had my firearm been in plain sight I'd make the officer aware of it to avoid any "excitement" to our day.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

My neighbor works patrol in Minneapolis and his attitude is "I always assume everyone I pull over is armed, the fact that some might be legally doesn't bother me a bit."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:39 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I just realized that's the area I got lost in on Monday coming back from handing in my permit application. Looking for 55.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:08 pm 
On time out

I have had three interactions with police since getting my permit. In every situation, no ticket. I simple hand them my permit and my license together adn say "how do you want to handle it? It is on my right side." All three of them hand me back my permit and say" yeah, so?" or "no problem" same attitude almost visual relief as in "I do not have to worry about this guy" sort of response I Know i did not have that sort of luck with cops in the pre permit days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had a Rochester policeman stop to see if I needed help while stopped on the side of the road to fasten down some building materials. My tee shirt must have pulled up over my carry weapon and he asked me what I had on my hip. He was just curious as to what kind of gun I carried and didn't even want to see my permit. All the LEOs I have spoken to aren't worried about permit holders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:14 pm 
First-time poster

I have had an odd experience with carrying. I am a bail/bondsman and do my own recovery (bounty hunting). I had a prisoner to pick-up in Reno, NV so I called the airline and made arrangements to carry on the plane (it was real simple). But I figured if I was going to have a problem it would be because I was attempting to carry on the plane. So I brought the prisoner (in handcuffs and shackles) to the checkin desk and showed our tickets. Just as we were going to enter the ramp the ticket agent asked if I was carrying a firearm. I told her I was not and was then told I COULD NOT get on the plane WITHOUT a firearm. After 2 hours of trying to get on the plane, I unarrested the prisoner and made them let my friend and I on the plane. I contacted NTSB and they said each airline set their own rules. The worst part was I had asked to be allowed to carry a blackjack instead but was told it was too dangerous.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:20 pm 
The Man

1911fan wrote:
I have had three interactions with police since getting my permit. In every situation, no ticket. I simple hand them my permit and my license together adn say "how do you want to handle it? It is on my right side." All three of them hand me back my permit and say" yeah, so?" or "no problem" same attitude almost visual relief as in "I do not have to worry about this guy" sort of response I Know i did not have that sort of luck with cops in the pre permit days.

Not surprising. More and more, cops understand that when they're dealing with permit holders, they're dealing with registered good guys. If you're polite, and immediately verbally and physically compliant, you're unlikely to have any trouble.

It's something I spend a bit of time on in class, as routine police encounters -- typically traffic stops, and side-of-the road encounters -- are about 99% of the professional encounters peaceful, law-abiding citizens have with cops, and that's as it should be.

Used to be different. Sometime, I've got to write out the story of how the comedy team of Officers Olson and Johnson (and no, I didn't make the names up) had to call downtown, in something resembling a panic, when they realized that they didn't know the official MPD way to give a gun back to someone -- in this case, me, after a speeding stop. (I was going 37 in a 35, they said; I'm such a scofflaw.)

"Sir? Here's your handgun," apparently was a little too simple.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.