Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where can I put my reloading equipment? 
 Post subject: Where can I put my reloading equipment?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:11 pm 
In the time out chair

Sorry to clutter up this forum with so many questions but I am in the process of getting started with reloading but don't know where to put the stuff. I have two options.

1) in the garage
the problem is that I live in MN and the garage is not heated. Super cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer. Besides how uncomfortable this will be for me I am not sure if that is bad for my equipment. What do you think?

2) in my finished basement
I have a split level house which means I don't have any unfinished area. I have some room near my computer for another desk. How messy is reloading? Am I going to regret having it indoors?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's not all that messy. But spent primers can get lost in the carpet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

My setup is in the unfinished part of my basement. My biggest issue is spent primers rolling around. They don't all drop into the little container I've got set under my press. And I occasionally spill a few grains of powder here and there, but a very small amount.

I have my lead melting setup in my garage, but don't think I'd like my presses out there- like you said, too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:35 pm 
In the time out chair

Are there any lead concerns being in the house? I am going to use plated bullets but have heard primers aren't too nice either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Richard Lee says the worst place for lead concentration in a reloading setup is where you sift out your brass from your tumbling media.

You can do that in the garage.

If you are decapping your primers into a container or tray, it shouldn't be a big deal inside your house.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:45 pm 
In the time out chair

DeanC wrote:
Richard Lee says the worst place for lead concentration in a reloading setup is where you sift out your brass from your tumbling media.

You can do that in the garage.

If you are decapping your primers into a container or tray, it shouldn't be a big deal inside your house.

Ok, thanks. I just have to find the money to go buy this stuff now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:50 am 

I broke down and converted a spare bedroom into a reloading room which gave me plenty of room for my two 550's and to store everything and work on guns, too. But I swear there's isn't a room in my house that I can't find spent primers lying on the floor. Those things get everywhere.

I do my tumbling and sorting out in the garage in an effort to keep as much of the lead dust out of the house as possible.

One of the best things I added to the reloading room is the extra docking station for my XM satellite radio. Now I don't dread having to go and reload for hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:51 am 

For years I had my reloading equipment in the garage. I used a Nipco type kerosene heater during the winter months. It worked okay and I got by. Then a couple years ago I traded my wife in for one with brains and ended up with a new house in the process. Now I have my bench downstairs in my own room. Definately preferable over the garage. So if you've got space inside, that's were I would go....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:28 pm 
On time out

Not to be a safety Nazi. but if you have little kids, or little grand kids, ages 0-7 then the need to really really monitor your lead levels is necessary.

If you can, get some sort of flooring or floor covering under the press that you can wet mop, that will help a lot, vacuuming it is just going to spread the lead dust around.

I pulled the carpet out and laid down some of that garage floor paint that is self leveling and nearly solvent proof. Makes it easier to find small things you drop too.

Do your tumbling in the garage with the door cracked open or out on the back step if you can. Especially if you have young kids around.

You can also test to see if you are tracking any lead around by buying a lead test kit, they are cheap and easy to use, get some masking tape and rub it all around where you are working, on the floors, window sills, etc, then rub the test kit over the tape.

Lead in miniscule amounts affects the synapse development of little kids. Its pretty easy to prevent it with good handling precautions. Also do not wash your reloading clothes with the kids stuff and wash your hands before you eat or drink anything AND wash the sink when you are done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:58 am 

1911fan wrote:
Not to be a safety Nazi. but if you have little kids, or little grand kids, ages 0-7 then the need to really really monitor your lead levels is necessary.

If you can, get some sort of flooring or floor covering under the press that you can wet mop, that will help a lot, vacuuming it is just going to spread the lead dust around.

I pulled the carpet out and laid down some of that garage floor paint that is self leveling and nearly solvent proof. Makes it easier to find small things you drop too.

Do your tumbling in the garage with the door cracked open or out on the back step if you can. Especially if you have young kids around.

You can also test to see if you are tracking any lead around by buying a lead test kit, they are cheap and easy to use, get some masking tape and rub it all around where you are working, on the floors, window sills, etc, then rub the test kit over the tape.

Lead in miniscule amounts affects the synapse development of little kids. Its pretty easy to prevent it with good handling precautions. Also do not wash your reloading clothes with the kids stuff and wash your hands before you eat or drink anything AND wash the sink when you are done.

Good points and many shooters aren't aware of the issue. I don't have any children and I live alone but I am well aware of the dangers of lead.

I dealt with the whole lead issue years ago when running the indoor IDPA matches all the way downrange where there isn't any exhaust. Unless we are shooting from the stalls somehow, I rarely attend indoor shoots these days for various reasons and lead is at the top of the list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you are at all concerned, get your blood tested for lead. I did a few years ago, and was relieved to see that I was perfectly okay there. My doctor was puzzled and a bit hesitant when I asked for the test, but once I explained that I melted lead and cast bullets, as well as other reloading activities, convinced him of the need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:08 pm 

Brewman wrote:
If you are at all concerned, get your blood tested for lead. I did a few years ago, and was relieved to see that I was perfectly okay there. My doctor was puzzled and a bit hesitant when I asked for the test, but once I explained that I melted lead and cast bullets, as well as other reloading activities, convinced him of the need.

I typically will have nothing to do with lead bullets. I shot about 1200 rounds of lead factory .38 special up this month only because I got such a good deal on it. I couldn't pass up $4.50 a box.

My doctor had the same reaction as yours did until I explained how much I shot a year. The week after we stopped shooting indoors a couple years ago at Circle Pines I had mine tested, and it was high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:20 pm 
In the time out chair

Brewman wrote:

Ahhh, you all are scaring me even more than I was already :shock:

I don't have kids, I won't use lead bullets, will tumble outdoors, and I'll put a plastic floor mat down so that I can clean it up well. I think that is following everyones advice. I hope I'll survive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

rucker wrote:
Brewman wrote:

Ahhh, you all are scaring me even more than I was already :shock:

I don't have kids, I won't use lead bullets, will tumble outdoors, and I'll put a plastic floor mat down so that I can clean it up well. I think that is following everyones advice. I hope I'll survive!

On the contrary- considering how much shooting (indoor range, but very well vented), lead melting and bullet handling, and all other shooting related potential lead exposure, my lead level was well within guidelines, in fact on the low end of the acceptable scale. So I must be doing something right. Anyway, I'm not scared about it anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Beer, lots of beer.................... :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.